Most health-conscious people use a supplement
Doing this can be very useful for your health. There are several reasons why you need supplements:
-It is difficult to find high-quality food everywhere and at all times.
– Many places the soil is significantly depleted of nutrition based on monoculture and taking the food out of the ground before it is mature. A green tomato that is riped in a truck while driving across a continent is not as nutritious and healthy as a tomato grown and riped locally.
– Most fruit and vegetables are heavily sprayed with different forms of herbicide and pesticide.
These are just a few examples of why the food you are eating does not always contain the number of vitamins and minerals as they should have. Therefore (and for other reasons too), it is wise to take supplements. But choose carefully; otherwise, the people who say supplements just make you pee expensive urine will be right.
1. Choose quality over price:
The most significant reason supplement doesn’t work is that they are not absorbed well.
The low-quality supplement does not break down effectively. If they only reach your intestines, the strong acid there could break them down, and they will not go into your bloodstream.
Other supplements are better absorbed, where they are supposed to in the body. Usually, you get what you pay for.
2. The amount of the nutrients / Potency:
Often supplements contain much fewer nutrients than what is needed for optimal health. Read the labels carefully. 100% of RDA sounds fine but is often too little.
3. The balance of nutrients in your supplement:
The more we (and science) learn about our body – the ratio of nutrients needed could change. Some formulas are based on old research. Be aware that the procedure used is based on what current scientific research says is optimal for our health.
4. The form of vitamin or mineral is essential:
Each vitamin and mineral har specific conditions that are better absorbed than others. Here are some examples:
– Minerals need an acidic base to break down and get used. So, if your stomach is not producing enough acid, there could be a problem with the absorption. A piece of good advice here: Take some (diluted and organic) Apple cider vinegar.
– A natural or synthetic form of vitamins?.
Some say it doesn’t matter. I disagree. E.g., Natural E-vitamin is much better absorbed than the synthetic version. To know the difference: D-alpha form is natural, and the Dl-alpha form is synthetic. The difference is very subtle but essential.
5. Capsules or tablets:
Again, it depends on the quality of the supplement. After that, it is more than what you prefer.
6. The most common question about supplements:
If you eat well, do you still have to take supplements?
I think you have to if you want to aim for optimal health.
Even if you are eating nutrient-dense food at every meal, it is still almost impossible for all the nutrients you need. The pollution from the sea and air is also a part of the problem. Even just growing older makes you absorb less of the nutrients in the food. Just remember to buy the right quality supplements.
Vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients are either a wise investment or a waste of money. That is totally up to you!